- 2.5 pounds ground buffalo meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 chipotle peppers with adobo sauce from a can, minced
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Generous pinch of salt
- A few grinds black pepper
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Drizzle with vinegar and stir to combine. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine ground buffalo, chipotle, cilantro, garlic, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to mix well and form into 8 patties. Oil the grill grate and grill burgers 2-3 minutes, flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then flip again and cook for 1-2 minutes, flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until cooked through to your preference.
- Lay slices of cheese over burgers and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes or until burgers are cooked through.