- 1½ pounds ground buffalo
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 carrots, minced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- ½ cup barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 30 ounces turkey or other broth
- 1 (11 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, and crumble in the ground buffalo. Cook and stir until the meat is evenly browned and no longer pink.
- Stir in the onion, carrots, celery, and barley. Pour in diced tomatoes, water, broth, and tomato soup. Season with bay leaf, parsley, garlic, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover; simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf before serving.