- 1 lb. ground buffalo
- 1.5 lbs. sausage (Cibola Buffalo & Pork Merguez recommended)
- 36 ounces tomato sauce
- 24 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces chopped stewed tomato
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Portobello mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 5 eggs
- 6 tbs. minced fresh parsley
- 48 ounces cottage cheese (small curd)
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 24 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package lasagna noodles (about 18)
- In a large skillet, cook buffalo and sausage (removed from casings) over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, garlic, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- When meat sauce is ready, get a baking dish ready. This can be put into one large dish, or broken up into smaller dishes. Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of the dish. Add one layer of noodles, then ladle meat sauce over the noodles. Apply a layer of cheese mix, topped with mozzarella. Add a layer of the optional mushrooms if desired. Repeat another layering of noodles, meat sauce, cheese sauce and mozzarella. Then top off with a layer of noodles, a thin layer of meat sauce and any remaining mozzarella spread evenly.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.