- 4 8 oz. flat iron steaks
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2½ cups dry red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the grill or barbecue (medium high heat). Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper, then drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stands 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sautÃ�Â© until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add the garlic and oregano and sautÃ�Â© until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small ½ inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Drizzle the sauce and a little olive oil over the steaks and serve.