- 1-2 pound flank steak butterflied
- cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons goat cheese crumbles
- Salt & pepper
- Kitchen twine
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butterfly the flank steak. In order to do this at home, with the steak lying flat and the long side facing you, use a sharp knife to slice through the meat horizontally being careful to keep the meat in two even halves. You are not going to slice completely through the meat, you want it to open like a book. Once the meat is butterflied season the inside with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat two tablespoons of cooking oil. Add the spinach and cook just until it wilts. Remove from heat.
- With the steak lying open like a book, layer the spinach and mushrooms, then top with goat cheese.
- Gently roll the steak starting at the end closest to you and rolling away. Use the kitchen twine to tie the steak in 1-2 inch intervals. This ensures you won’t lose any stuffing while it cooks.
- Over medium-high heat in the same skillet, sear the steak on each side. 5 minutes per side.
- Place in a baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 130°F.