- 2 pound tri-tip roast
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Stir together hoisin, ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, and pepper until well blended. Rub marinade all over roast, coating it well. Place in a glass baking dish, cover, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator at least 8 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Remove tri-tip from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 450F. Blot roast dry with paper towels to remove some of the excess marinade.
- Place roast into a roasting pan (rack optional) and cook for 20 minutes at 450 degrees, then lower oven temperature to 325 and continue cooking for another 20 or more minutes until an internal meat thermometer reaches 125-130 degrees.
- Remove the roast from the pan and let sit on a cutting board covered loosely with foil for 20-30 minutes. The internal temperature will rise toward medium-rare. For rare or medium, adjust these instructions accordingly. Slice across the grain and serve.