- 3 lb. buffalo back ribs
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (14 oz.)
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3-5 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Using a large saucepan, brown ribs in cooking oil over medium high heat; or coat ribs lightly with oil and brown quickly on a hot barbecue grill. Set browned ribs aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl to form sauce. Transfer sauce to a Dutch oven or shallow ovenproof baking dish with cover.
- Split ribs into 2 to 3 bone sections. Immerse ribs in a sauce in a single layer. If sauce appears to be insufficient add up to 1 cup of water.
- Cover Dutch oven or baking dish and bake in a 250°F oven for 3 hours. Agitate every hour or so. Add some additional water only if necessary.
- After 3 hours cooking turn off oven and allow ribs to remain there until room temperature is reached. Leave ribs in cooking dish overnight.
- Next day remove rib dish from the refrigerator and reheat at 300°F for one hour, or until ribs are heated through.
- Separate ribs from sauce and hold in warm oven. Thicken sauce by cooking at a low boil for about 15 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached. Remove ribs from oven and serve with sauce.