- 3 lbs. buffalo osso buco
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 oz. bacon strips or bacon fat, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 cups buffalo or turkey stock
- 2 or more cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dried cayenne pepper
- Heat a large pot until hot. Add bacon, let the fat render. When crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Place Osso Buco into hot rendered fat. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each one and sear until brown on both sides, take out and set aside.
- Turn heat to low, add olive oil if pot is dry. Add onions, sauté until softened. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add beef stock, wine, molasses, and one teaspoon of salt into the pot. Put peppercorns, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves into a cheesecloth pouch. Add to pot along with cayenne pepper. Cover the osso buco and braise in the oven for four hours, turning once, and using a spoon scoop the juices and the onions and pour over the top of the meat. Meat should fall off the bone when done.
- Remove from oven and serve with bones and sauce on top.