- 4-1/2 lbs. short ribs
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup broth
- 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence (or other)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- Place ribs in bottom of slow cooker (aka crock pot). These can even be totally frozen. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer in all remaining ingredients. Set cooker on low for 7 hours if ribs are defrosted or 8 hours if ribs are frozen.
- Using tongs, remove the ribs to a plate. Discard bay leaves. Mix the liquid. You can either cut the ribs apart by slicing between the bones to create single bone pieces with meat attached, place on rice or mashed potatoes and drizzle sauce over to serve. Or, you can let the ribs cool and remove all bones and connective tissue and dropping semi-shredded meat back into the liquid in order to have a stew-like dish that is suitable for adding cooked vegetables or dressing up further.
- For a more substantial dish, add 1-2 cups of pre-soaked dry beans to the base of the crock pot at the start.