- 2-3 lbs. buffalo chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs. onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1½ cups dry white wine
- 1 cup water or stock
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 275F.
- Pat buffalo meat dry and rub all over with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in an large oven-safe wide heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot and brown meat on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Transfer meat to a plate.
- Add onions to pot and saute over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until pale golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add wine and water (or stock) and bring to a boil. Return meat to pot, then cover tightly and braise in oven, turning once after 1 hour, until beef is very tender, 3 hours total.
- Let meat stand, uncovered, in onion sauce about 30 minutes.
- Move meat to a cutting board to slice. Serve with onions and sauce. Works well to shred meat and serve all over wide egg noodles.