Buffalo Roast with Miso Au Jus
- 3-5 lb. Bison Roast: Rib, Loin or Tenderloin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup miso paste, divided
- 5 large carrots, halved
- 8 stalks celery, halved
- 2 onions, halved
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups turkey or beef stock
- Heat the oven to 250F. Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper. Rub just 2-3 tablespoons of the miso (keep the rest of the miso for the Au Jus) on all sides of the roast. Place the roast in a large roasting pan. Scatter the vegetables all around the roast.
- Roast until temperature of the middle of the roast is 125 degrees F (medium-rare to medium), which should take about 15-20 minutes per pound, but use a meat thermometer to monitor. The roast will continue to cook to the finished temperature of 135-140 on the counter resting. Turn the broiler to high and let the roast brown a bit on the outside, for about 5 minutes. Transfer roast to cutting board and cover loosely with tin foil. Rest for a full 30 minutes.
- While the roast is resting, make the Miso Jus. Keep the vegetables in the roasting pan. Place the roasting pan over 2 burners set on high heat.
- Pour in the red wine and cook until wine is reduced by half. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bits. Whisk in the broth and 2 tablespoons of miso paste. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add any juices accumulated from the roast on the cutting board. Turn off heat.
- Strain the jus with mesh strainer, pressing down with wooden spoon to extract out all the juice from the vegetables. Carve the roast, serve with the jus.