Korean Style Buffalo Eye of Round
- 4 pound eye of round roast
- 3/4 cup soy sauce for marinade
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark Asian sesame oil for marinade
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced for marinade
- 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced for marinade
- 3/4 cup soy sauce for serving sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, minced for service sauce
- 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced for serving sauce
- 1/4 cup green onions, minced
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil for serving sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare Marinade: In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and mix well.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels and place in the plastic bag. Pour Korean Marinade into the bag, squeeze out all the air, and seal. Massage the bag to smear the marinade all over the roast and to begin working it into the meat.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. If desired, trim off excess fat from roast. Season with salt and pepper (and paprika, if desired). Rub meat with vegetable oil.
- Place meat in roasting pan in preheated oven.
- Roast beef for 5 minutes per pound. Then turn off oven. DO NOT OPEN OVEN FOR 2 HOURS! (For example, a 4-lb. roast would take 20 minutes to cook and then sit in the turned-off oven for 2 hours.).
- While the roast is in the oven, prepare Korean Sauce. Whisk roast drippings into the sauce.
- Prepare Sauce: In a saucepan, combine the soy, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger and heat, stirring, just until the sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions and sesame oil. Set aside to serve warm or at room temperature.
- Carve in thin slices and serve immediately with the sauce on the side.