- 2 boneless rib-eye or NY strip steaks (or any other steak type)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup finely ground esspresso
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Canola or olive oil
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Combine all spices in a bowl. This rub is very flexible and can accommodate many alterations.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Preheat an oven safe fry pan over high burner heat. Brush each side of the steak with oil and then season each side liberally with salt and pepper. Rub 2 tablespoons of the coffee rub onto 1 side of each steak. Cook the steak, rub side down for 2 minutes. Flip the steak over, cook for 2 more minutes and then transfer pan to oven and cook in the oven to medium-rare doneness, about 5-8 minutes, but use a meat thermometer! Remove and let rest outside of the pan for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.