Ham Hocks & Beans
- 1 pound dry pinto beans (but any beans will work)
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Wash beans and remove all non-bean material.
- Place beans, ham hock, onions and garlic in large Dutch oven filled with water.
- Add spices. Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat for 4-5 hours. Add more water as needed.
- Remove the ham hocks when they are tender and falling apart, let cool, pick the meat and stir back into the beans.