Italian Pot Roast
- 2-3 lbs. buffalo chuck roast, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 lbs. small white potatoes, scrubbed
- With a sharp paring knife, cut 4 slits in roast; stuff slits with half the garlic. Generously season meat with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Cook meat until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine meat, onion, potatoes, tomatoes, rosemary, and remaining garlic. Cover; cook on low setting until meat is fork-tender, about 7 hours (do not uncover while cooking).
- Transfer meat to a cutting board; thinly slice, and discard any gristle. To serve, divide beef and vegetables among bowls; generously spoon sauce over top.