Slow Cooked French Dip
- 1.5-2 pound tri-tip roast
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups stock
- 1.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Cooking oil
- Arrowroot starch or similar
- Salt and pepper
- Combine garlic, stock, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary and thyme in a mixing bowl.
- Heat cooking oil in a skillet over high heat. Sear the tri-tip on all sides until brown, no more than 1-2 minutes per side on all 3 sides.
- Put onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, then put tri-tip on top.
- Pour stock mixture over top of the tri-tip, making sure that there is enough liquid to touch the sides of the meat. Add more stock if needed for this.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, then remove the meat to a plate.
- Strain the remaining juice into a sauce pan and separate from the onions. Heat the sauce pan with juice over medium heat until boiling. Mix the arrowroot with a small bit of water to form a paste and add to the juice. Keep whisking until the sauce has thickened.
- Slice the tri-tip and serve with onions and sauce. Over top of a baguette cut lengthwise in half or mash potatoes is quite good.