Southern Collard Greens
- 1 Pound of fresh Collard Greens, washed well and chopped.
- 1 -2 Ham Hocks cut into pieces.
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 3 quarts water
- Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove and discard any stem pieces.
- Heat a pan with the bacon pieces and render the bacon fat. As the fat is nearly fully rendered, add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Place chopped collard greens into the pan in batches and keep working it around until it wilts down and all of the greens are in the pan and mostly wilted.
- Add ham hock pieces, including bones. Add water, salt, sugar, pepper and hot sauce and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes. Remove the bones and any chunks of meat. Let cool and pick / chop meat. Add meat back to pot.