Tenderloin Medallion with Mustard & Tarragon Sauce
- 4 buffalo tenderloin medallions
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy or more white wine
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 5-ounce bags baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cover and cook until soft and brown, about 3 minutes. Add stock, wine and brandy. Boil until slightly reduced, about 6 minutes. Add cream and boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 6 more minutes. Set sauce aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add 1 bag of spinach and toss until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add remaining spinach and toss just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in another heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Sauté to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare.
- Divide spinach among serving plates. Place 1 steak on each mound of spinach. Add sauce, mustard and tarragon to skillet where steaks were cooked; boil until slightly thickened, scraping the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.